Friday, March 1, 2013

Lasagna with Polenta and No Noodles

I am on a low carb diet and noodles are totally off limits.  So, if you love lasagna as much as I do, then you know how much suffering it is to watch people have this for dinner and you can't touch it.  It sucks.  So, I was reading a cookbook and came across polenta in place of noodles. 

What you will need to make this recipe: 

Ground beef, I use ground sirloin.
Jar of pasta sauce, I use my grocery store brand and it is a garlic and herb
shredded mozzarella cheese, I used 1 package. 
cottage cheese, big tub. 
spices, I used pepper, salt, garlic, onion, and smoked paprika
Polenta, it is on the pasta aisle at my grocery store.  It comes in a tube, looks like summer sausage but, yellow. 
Large baking pan or whatever size you will need. 

Brown the ground beef, with your spices.  Drain off fat, if you have any.  Add in jar of pasta sauce, turn heat to medium and let it cook for a bit.  I like to get it bubbly hot and then turn down to low and mix occasionally so, it won't stick. 

Crank up your oven to 350F.  Slice your polenta in whatever thickness you are comfortable with.  My goal was to go as low carb as possible, and I chose to use thinner slices rather than thicker. 

Use a large baking dish with taller sides since it will be very juicy! 

Start the layering process like you would do with regular lasagna.  I chose to put the meat sauce on the bottom, then I added the polenta slices, then the cottage cheese with mozzarella cheese, then polenta, and so on.  Cover with aluminum foil. 

Bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour. 

Serve! 

My hubby loved it and asked me to make it again for us.  We are both eating low carb and hopefully, this recipe will become a favorite of yours as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment