Monday, January 28, 2013

Some Observations

I made the pumpkin bars with the quinoa and used whey low for my topping base instead of the xylitol that I had planned to use.  I couldn't find the xylitol in my pantry but, I had bought the whey low a few months ago.  The whey low is super sweet and had I realized this, I wouldn't have used it. 

The quinoa flour just doesn't do it for me.  I am a spelt flour girl.  I love the texture of the spelt flour  and the taste is way better.  The hubby did say that he liked the quinoa flour pumpkin bars.  I just know that my sugar went off of the charts after having one of the things.  I can't eat them.  Realize that I am not on my metformin right now so, it won't help me any to have one of these things.  So, I have to stay away from them. 

I am also being good and staying away from white rice...crack to diabetics and I am staying away from pasta and breads.  I am on a low carb diet and it is helping me keep my sugar in check.  I also exercise which helps out so much with keeping the sugar low.  I drink de-caf coffee with some half and half with a tsp of Xyla. 

I have added oolong tea into the mix and it helps to get the sugar to normalize.  It is good when I need a nice pick me up. 

I have a book that helps me stay on my diet when I am out with my sister, shopping and I can't get to any veggies, it has a list of calories, fat and carbs.  If you read it, you will never eat at Mickey D's again.  Just the amount of carbs and fat!  One thing that has happened since I started on my diet, I used to watch Food Network and just drool over the fatty hamburgers and crud foods.  Now I am not even interested in Food Network and the crud foods, fatty hamburgers make me nauseous.  I drool in the produce department at the grocery store.  I noticed it one day when I went grocery shopping.  I was in the lettuce section and I noticed my mouth just watering.  I realized then that my diet is working.  I learned to eat right and as long as I stay away from sugar, white flour, and carbs, I can do anything. 

This coming weekend, I will be out in my garden planting vegetables.  I have 10 furrows this year for my crop.  I have plans to put in  kale, radishes, lettuce, carrots, and broccoli.  I am excited since my dill came up and my cilantro came back.  I love fresh veggies out of the garden.  My garden isn't big, it is little but, it does produce enough food for just the two of us.  Hubby is taking the back flower bed behind the pool and turning it into a sunny spot garden bed for tomatoes and okra.  I love grilled okra, it is so good! 

Gardening does count as exercise for those of you who don't want to walk or ride your bicycle or head to the gym.  Manual labor will work off the pounds.  It also will give you a nice sense of accomplishment and if you can grow your own veggies, something nice to put in the fridge and on the table.  Plus, you will know what was used on it since you grew it.  Nothing funky or genetically modified. 

I have to look on my chart to see when green beans can be planted since I am fond of them.  I have to head to the home improvement store for onion sets.  Those are going to be planted, too.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment