Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Building a Better Pumpkin Bar

I grabbed a cookie book and found a recipe.  I looked at the ingredients and decided to do some substituting, it does make life interesting to try new things. 

First time I made this recipe, I used spelt flour.  It gave it a nice nutty flavor, which works well with the pumpkin.  It has 22 grams of carbs per 1/4 cup.  It also has 4 gram of dietary fiber.  Think of fiber as being your friend, it is wonderful in keeping everything in balance. 

Today I am trying quinoa flour, it has 18 grams of carbs and only 2 grams of fiber, not good but, it is a test batch. 

What you will need for this recipe...

2 cups spelt flour, this can be found at most grocery stores, I tested with Bob's Red Mill brand. 

1 cup Xylitol, I use Emerald Forest Xyla, which can be found at Amazon
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 eggs, beaten
1 fifteen ounce can of pumpkin
1 cup olive oil

Get a big bowl and mix all the ingredients together.  If you own a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, put it in there and turn it on to medium. 

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Pour your batter into a large baking pan, I used a 4 quart pan.  The recipe suggests a 13 x 9 x1 inch pan.  Bake your bars for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick poked into the center of the bars comes out clean or if you touch it and it bounces back in the center.  Let stand for 2 hours on a metal rack or until completely cool. 

This recipe comes with frosting and yes, it too can be made without sugar and taste fabulous. 

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

In a medium mixing bowl, take 4 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature, add to that 1/4 cup softened butter, don't use margarine, it won't turn out, 1 teaspoonful of vanilla extract.  Mix together with your electric mixer at medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add powdered xylitol to the mix, gradually.  You are going to need 2 and 1/2 cups.  When it is frosting consistency, then it will be ready for spreading on your cooled pumpkin bars. 

Where do I find the powdered xylitol?  I found mine at Nettrition. 

I love xylitol since it doesn't spike blood sugar.  It does have a laxative effect at first but as I have been using it for a while, no problems.  The best part of this recipe, it doesn't taste sugar free.  It is yummy! 

I have served this recipe to friends who aren't diabetic and they couldn't taste the difference.  My best friend loved it so much she refused to share them with her boyfriend. 

To be fair, the recipe I used came from Better Homes and Gardens:  The Ultimate Cookie Book.  I just made it sugar free and with quinoa flour, gluten free. 

Since Xylitol tastes sweeter than sugar, I cut down on the recipe, which is how it is written here.  The xylitol is measured like sugar, 1:1 ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment