Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How It All Started

I decided that people other than myself need help, especially if you are suffering from type 2 Diabetes.  I was diagnosed on December 27, 2011.  I wasn't happy about it but I knew it was coming.  I had a grandparent with the disease and knew it was coming sooner or later, I hoped later.  So, with the help of one husband who is wonderful and one dietitian, I was on my way to the fight of my life.  Several family members have had the disease for years and the effects on a body are seriously damaging.  My goal, to keep my feet, legs, eye sight, teeth, and heart intact.  I had a long hard battle with MRSA, should have known this would have been the start of the whole diabetes saga. 

So, after many months working with my dietitian and doctor, taking my meds, exercising, and just trying to stay positive, I went in for blood work and after my follow up, I found out that I had kicked it.  How did I do this?  I learned how to eat all over again and I also learned the sugar is awful stuff.  Yes, it is very tasty but, is it worth it?  No! 

It took me two long weeks to kick sugar.  I shook, I was constantly hungry, I craved it, it was like someone trying to kick alcohol.  It was sugar.  That lovely grainy white stuff that I had been eating since I was a child.  Then when it is combined with all purpose flour...holy smoke, that is a major ticking time bomb.  It can really do devestating things to our bodies. 

Then there are carbs...I admit it, I was a serious carb junkie.  Those chips that call your name in the middle of the night...yep, that was me.  I was a serious wreck. 

Here is how to stop yourself from turning into a serious wreck.  If you are diagnosed, please tell your doctor that you really want to see a dietitian, it will save your life. 

I decided to share my recipes for everyone who needs to lose a few pounds without losing taste.  I researched like crazy to find what I could about several different sugar substitutes and their effects on the body. 

Don't take the disease lying down, do what you can to research and find out what information you can to help save your life.  It is your fight and yours alone. 

So here goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment