Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bacon...Need I Say More?

I have been craving bacon lately.  I admit, since I am a type 2 diabetic it shouldn't be on my diet.  Ha!  I love bacon.  It is salty, it is crunchy, it is chewy, it is Amazing! 

So, what is a girl to do?  Cook it, silly!  I have been eating it and enjoying myself.  How has this affected my blood pressure?  It hasn't.  Yep, I have been eating it and my blood pressure is normal.  I have had it on low carb bread sandwiches, I have had it for breakfast with my egg.  I am finding I can't get enough of it.  This is usually a bad thing for those of us who are diabetics.  I have noticed it fills me up more than my yogurt for breakfast and I eat less. 

I still stay away from the uncured stuff since it is loaded with salt.  Gack!  Check out a package of normal bacon and then the uncured stuff and see the difference in salt.  It will amaze you. 

I have learned to read labels since this whole endeavor began.  I learned that there are some things that might look good until you read that it is completely awful for you.  I still buy chips, I know it isn't right but, read the labels and get the kind of chips that are portioned out.  I buy Pr$ngles in the snack sizes.  They are portioned out and each little container is 11 grams of carbs.  This is perfect when I need that little bit of carb in my diet.  It makes a great snack with a bag of 100 calories almonds or almonds and walnuts.  I don't want to ever go into ketoacidosis.  No thank you, it sounds so completely scary from what I have read. 

If you haven't had the displeasure of the miracle noodle, I would have to say it all comes down to texture, if you are a texture person, trust me, you won't like the miracle noodle.  It was completely awful for me.  I am no way a noodle junky, I have learned all because of the miracle noodle.  For those people who leave reviews that it is just like pasta, they are unbelievable LIARS!  It is not pasta and NEVER will be pasta.  My take on it is this...I can have it once a month or even once every 2 months, it is no longer a staple in my household. 

I am proud to say that the last bag of rice left my house the other day.  My sister called in need of rice, my niece was sick with diarrhea and my sister was completely out of rice.  She called and I took her the last bag.  I no longer have rice in my cupboards.  Yay!  I kicked that habit but, good.  Slowly I am working on my other bad food habits. 

I keep a food log and I write down each day what I eat.  I have noticed that if I do not do this, I eat anything and everything.  Not a good thing.  I also have switched to frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.  I buy the Blue Bell individual cups in a big old bag, when I need ice cream.  This way, I am limited in my serving size.  No more big old bowls of that.  I love the individual frozen yogurts that come in a box.  They are my go to when I need something a little bit sweet.  They work out nicely since their carb count is low. 

If you are just starting out as a diabetic, may I suggest...go see a dietitian.  It will save your life.  I learned how to eat all over again with my dietitian.  She recommended to me a book that has helped out so much...you will think again about eating fast food with this book.  It grossed me out to see what I was eating each day and the horror of it all.  The book is The Calorie King, Calorie, Fat, and Carbohydrate counter.  It completely changed the way I look at Fast Food and why I will never eat a burger again at the Golden Arches.  No way!  Just the amount of fat and carbs.  It will blow you away.  If I do have a burger, I do go for the kids portions.  They are so much better for me.  The carb count is way better. 

Be aware...if you are reading this book in the car with other people who are not diabetics, you will be called the FOOD POLICE!  I didn't realize how bad I had gotten until my sister point blank told me to just STOP!  I looked at her in shock.  Okay, what was I telling her to get her so upset? I then realized that I was trying to be healthy for myself but, other people do not appreciate it.  Oh well.  If they want to kill themselves with food, then let them.  If you want to eat better, do it.

The best thing I did was go out to a all you can eat restaurant and just sit there and watch. Yep, watch to see what other people pile on their plates, it will gross you out.  Just the amount of bread being consumed in this country...amazing!  I do not miss it.  I find that I now drool in the produce department.  It used to be for sugar laden snacks and greasy burgers.  No more. 

Then it comes down to do I eat it and feel completely awful...the guilt and the ugh feeling...or eat something healthy and clean?  Then there is the whole bacon thing...if you really want it, eat it.  It doesn't give me the ugh feeling at all.  I do not feel guilty for consuming it.  Let's face it, Bacon is Fantastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment