Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Making the Polenta Lasagna even Lower Carb

My hubby and I have been having a discussion about the carbs in the lasagna.  He is trying to go completely no carb.  I love carbs and I am trying to do low carbs.  Well,  the polenta lasagna is a favorite but, he has challenged me to make it even lower or no carb.  He suggested I use zucchini, and I said no.  Too bitter.  He can make it if he wants it bad enough, I refuse.  So, I started to think about this...how can I make it completely carb free?  Cheese was the answer I came up with. 

I am seriously thinking of taking provolone slices and placing the slices between my layers of cottage cheese and meat sauce.  This should make it even more tastier than normal.  I thought about using buffalo mozzarella slices as well.  It would make it over the top cheesy but, this isn't a problem in my home since we love cheese. 

My doctor has tried to get me to switch to the low fat cheese but, it is awful.  It takes like rubber.  My whole goal is to make this taste good, not like the bottom of a shoe.  Ugh! 

For those of you who are suffering from high cholesterol, I am one of them, start taking your fish oil pills...I sadly take 4 a day of the things.  I have the ones that are lemon based...tastes so much better than the fish based ones...that taste will forever haunt my memory when I happened to burp that. NASTY!!!!

If you are interested in the lemon based ones...Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega.  I found my bottle at my local grocery store and GNC sells them as well.  I had originally ordered them in from GNC but, I was shopping and found them at my grocery store.  They have a great health food section. 

I also have found that eating breakfast cereal will help with the whole cholesterol as well.  I have Cinnamon Life because it is lower carb than the other cereals out there and I refuse to eat those round oat circles.  Ick! 

I will have a bowl every now and then when I just can't handle having another yogurt for breakfast.  I also have found that steel cut oats are wonderful for breakfast and I use my xylitol sweetener in it.  Be forewarned, if you are really hungry, it is going to take about 30 minutes to cook the steel cut oats but, they are worth the time and energy. 

I will let you know my results with the cheese slices when I make the lasagna again.  I am thinking it will work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment