Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kale Chips...What the Heck Are Those?

I planted kale in my spring garden and I found a recipe for Kale chips.  Everyone seems to think the things are addictive and they can't be all that bad for a person, can they?  So, I was perusing one of my magazines and came across several recipes for kale chips.  Since I have a copious amount of kale in my garden, I went picking.  I came in with my stems and promptly pulled the stems off like the recipe said and rinsed the leaves. 

Here is what I used for the recipe:

1 Misto sprayer filled with olive oil
shredded cheddar cheese
pepper grinder filled with my favorite Tellicherry black peppercorns
cookie sheet
oven
Kale leaves about 1 cup.

Rinse kale leaves, after de-stemming, place on cookie sheet, crank up oven and preheat to 300F.  Spray the leaves with the Misto filled with olive oil, place shredded cheese on top, lightly grind pepper on leaves. 

Place in pre-warmed oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Mine came out all dry and crispy.  I think the baking time should be reduced to about 15 minutes.  I over peppered mine and they were extra bold and zesty.  My first impression, I need to grow more kale since this could be a really addictive snack.  Hubby didn't like them. 

I think other flavors are going to be in the works over here.  If you have a dehydrator, you can also dehydrate them but, that takes forever.  I wanted instant gratification.  I did get it. 

Carbs 8 grams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment